Lake View House, 1854-1890, Chicago.
Built roughly where Lake Shore Drive and Byron St now intersect, the building served as a hotel where city dwellers could go to escape noise and pollution.
From Encyclopedia Chicago:
In 1854, James Rees and Elisha Hundley built the Lakeview House hotel near Lake Shore Drive and Byron Street as a resort for potential investors in local land. (According to legend, Walter Newberry stood on the hotel’s veranda and, admiring its view, suggested that it be called “Lake View House.”) Wealthy Chicagoans seeking summer retreats from the city’s heat and disease bought up land in the eastern sector of the area. New railroad lines prompted development of more residential land and added suburban characteristics to Lake View’s resort atmosphere.
photo via CPL Digital Archives