Posts tagged 1850's

Identification tag (front and back) for an American Express Co. messenger on the Chicago, Fond du Lac and St. Paul RR, 1858, Chicago.

The multi-billion business we now know as a credit card company started in 1850 as an express mail service.

The Chicago, Fond du Lac and St. Paul RR would be bought by the Chicago and North Western RR in 1859.

A copy of Chicago Magazine, 1857 
Chicago Historical Society

A copy of Chicago Magazine, 1857 

Chicago Historical Society

Lake View House, 1854-1890, Chicago.
Built roughly where Lake Shore Drive and Byron St now intersect, the building served as a hotel where city dwellers could go to escape noise and pollution.
From Encyclopedia Chicago:
In 1854, James Rees and Elisha Hundley built the Lakeview House hotel near Lake Shore Drive and Byron Street as a resort for potential investors in local land. (According to legend, Walter Newberry stood on the hotel’s veranda and, admiring its view, suggested that it be called “Lake View House.”) Wealthy Chicagoans seeking summer retreats from the city’s heat and disease bought up land in the eastern sector of the area. New railroad lines prompted development of more residential land and added suburban characteristics to Lake View’s resort atmosphere.
photo via CPL Digital Archives

Lake View House, 1854-1890, Chicago.

Built roughly where Lake Shore Drive and Byron St now intersect, the building served as a hotel where city dwellers could go to escape noise and pollution.

From Encyclopedia Chicago:

In 1854, James Rees and Elisha Hundley built the Lakeview House hotel near Lake Shore Drive and Byron Street as a resort for potential investors in local land. (According to legend, Walter Newberry stood on the hotel’s veranda and, admiring its view, suggested that it be called “Lake View House.”) Wealthy Chicagoans seeking summer retreats from the city’s heat and disease bought up land in the eastern sector of the area. New railroad lines prompted development of more residential land and added suburban characteristics to Lake View’s resort atmosphere.

photo via CPL Digital Archives

The original Illinois Central Depot, built in 1856, at the east end of South Water Street, 1858, Chicago.
This would have been roughly just north of Randolph, east of Michigan Ave now stand.

The original Illinois Central Depot, built in 1856, at the east end of South Water Street, 1858, Chicago.

This would have been roughly just north of Randolph, east of Michigan Ave now stand.

Clark and Randolph, 1858, Chicago

Clark and Randolph, 1858, Chicago

The Galena Chicago Union Railway Station, the city’s first, Canal and Kinzie, 1855, Chicago.

The Galena Chicago Union Railway Station, the city’s first, Canal and Kinzie, 1855, Chicago.

Looking north along Michigan Ave (out of frame on the left) from Jackson St, 1857, Chicago. 
The body of water to the left of the breakwater was called the Basin. Small boats would anchor there and in the winter it would freeze over for ice skating. The Basin would eventually be filled in to create Grant Park.

Looking north along Michigan Ave (out of frame on the left) from Jackson St, 1857, Chicago. 

The body of water to the left of the breakwater was called the Basin. Small boats would anchor there and in the winter it would freeze over for ice skating. The Basin would eventually be filled in to create Grant Park.

The south west corner of Madison and Dearborn, 1853, Chicago. There is an alley in the center of the photo which was known as Newspaper Alley…the first Tribune building would be erected here in 1869.
via Chicagology

The south west corner of Madison and Dearborn, 1853, Chicago. There is an alley in the center of the photo which was known as Newspaper Alley…the first Tribune building would be erected here in 1869.

via Chicagology

Looking southeast from Washington and Clark, 1858, Chicago.

Looking southeast from Washington and Clark, 1858, Chicago.

Photo of Klinkel’s Hall, a saloon, 1854, Chicago.
Located at what is now 1623 N Wells (at North Ave), Klinkel’s was involved in the Lager Beer Riots of 1855. The riots were Chicago’s first recorded civil disturbance, all brought about because of the raising of fees on alcohol…I imagine the same would happen today…
Click through for more info.

Photo of Klinkel’s Hall, a saloon, 1854, Chicago.

Located at what is now 1623 N Wells (at North Ave), Klinkel’s was involved in the Lager Beer Riots of 1855. The riots were Chicago’s first recorded civil disturbance, all brought about because of the raising of fees on alcohol…I imagine the same would happen today…

Click through for more info.

View of Chicago from St. Mary’s College, 1851.

View of Chicago from St. Mary’s College, 1851.

It’s mindboggling to think that one time the city’s streets were paved with individual wood blocks, called the Nicolson Pavement method. Although this practice is long forgotten, there are still a few areas of the city with a few remaining blocks.
Via Forgotten Chicago: http://forgottenchicago.com/articles/wood-block-alleys/

It’s mindboggling to think that one time the city’s streets were paved with individual wood blocks, called the Nicolson Pavement method. Although this practice is long forgotten, there are still a few areas of the city with a few remaining blocks.

Via Forgotten Chicago: http://forgottenchicago.com/articles/wood-block-alleys/

A nice engraving of what the city looked like in 1856.

A nice engraving of what the city looked like in 1856.

Looking south-west from LaSalle and Washington, c.1858, pre-fire Chicago.

Looking south-west from LaSalle and Washington, c.1858, pre-fire Chicago.