650 N Dearborn, at Erie, 1945, Chicago.
Built in 1882, the once notorious Raleigh Hotel still stands, converted to condos in the mid 1980s.
Humboldt Park, 1883, Chicago. Louis Glaser
Checking out the new monkey exhibit, Lincoln Park Zoo, 1894, Chicago
Central Music Hall, SE Corner of State and Randolph, 1880, Chicago.
The music hall was demolished in 1900 to make way for the new Marshall Field Department Store.
Sex workers, 1880, Chicago
Visitors to the Palmer House take a guided tour of the city, 1885, Chicago.
Washington, west from Wabash, 1885, Chicago
A day at the races, Washington Park, 1884, Chicago.
Building the South Lagoon, the canal that runs along Lake Shore Drive just south of Fullerton, 1887, Chicago.
Contemporary photo via Janet and Phil’s Flickr page
Looking north from LaSalle and Jackson, 1888, Chicago.
Looking south on Michigan Ave from Adams, 1889, Chicago.
The Interstate Exposition Building is on the left, which would be replaced by the Art Institute in 1893.
Ryerson and Burnham Archives, Art Institute of Chicago
Chicago White Stockings (Cubs), 1880.
Beginning construction on the Lake St. ‘L’, Lake St and Milwaukee Ave, 1889, Chicago
The Lake St. ‘L’ would not start operations until 1893
Greg Borzo Collection
The Alarm (John Joseph Boyle), one of the northside’s oldest statues, was originally installed within the what is now Lincoln Park Zoo, 1884.
In 1974 it was moved just east of the lakepath, north of Diversey Harbor.
The Green Tree Tavern, one of the city’s first saloons. Built in 1833, its original location was at Lake and Canal Streets.
Around 1880 (pictured) the building was moved to 33 Milwaukee Ave.
Follow on Twitter
Scaffold theme by Mike Harding.