The Sauganash Hotel, 1833, Chicago.
The Sauganash, located on the river at what is now Lake and Wacker, is considered Chicago’s first hotel (and drugstore, and theater, and…).
The name Sauganash means “Englishman” in the local Potawatomi language.
Learn more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauganash_Hotel
Bridges up, 1972, Chicago
Fire on the river at LaSalle, 1951, Chicago
The Morton Salt International Headquarters (now the General Growth Building), east bank of the south branch of the Chicago River at Washington St, 1958, Chicago.
The Chicago Christmas Tree Ship (helmed here by Santa Claus) heads down the south branch of the river, 1949, Chicago.
Read more about this annual tradition, since 1898, here:
Winter sunset, 1938, Chicago.
A barge squeezes past the Merchandise Mart, 1951, Chicago
North from the Merchandise Mart, the Lindbergh Beacon beckons from the Palmolive Building, 1946, Chicago.
North from the Michigan Ave bridge and a frozen river, 1939, Chicago.
A tug boat pulls a ship off Lake Michigan, west along the river, 1935, Chicago.
Construction of the Jewelers’ Building, 35 E Wacker, 1926, Chicago.
Note the absence of the Michigan Ave bridge. The Rush Street bridge was still in use just to the west.
Crossing the LaSalle Street bridge, 1936, Chicago. John Guttman
Aerial view looking south from Michigan Ave at the river, 1925, Chicago.
Michigan and Wacker, 1946, Chicago
The Merchandise Mart, 1954, Chicago.
Follow on Twitter
Scaffold theme by Mike Harding.