The original Gold Coast Dogs at State and Hubbard, 1989, Chicago.
At one time GCD was THE hot dog stand in Chicago. The Potekin family sold off the chain in 2002 and most say it was never the same after.
Diana’s Hot Dogs, Milwaukee and Western, 1987, Chicago. Patty Carroll
The building attached to the hot dog stand is now home of the the Green Eye Lounge.
Eat at Alderney’s on Dearborn, 1893, Chicago.
Superdawg, Milwaukee and Devon, 1987, Chicago. Patty Carroll.
T.J. O’Donnell’s South Chicago Hotel and Bar, 1895, Chicago.
White Castle Hamburgers, 4364 S Archer, 1962, Chicago.
When this photo was taken, the location had been open for 33 years.
Who wants to meet at Walgreen’s for lunch?
Walgreen’s lunch counter menu, 1950, Chicago.
LAPL Digital Archives
Chinese New Year celebrated at famous Jimmy Wong’s, 426 S Wabash, 1965, Chicago.
Gung Hay Fat Choy!
The Burlington, “The Most Beautiful Diner in Chicago”, 4183 S Halsted, 1939, Chicago.
The Sky-Hi Drive-In Restaurant, Monroe and Cicero, 1964, Chicago.
The restaurant was built inside a converted body of a DC-6.
During WW II’s cigarette shortage, Maurice’s Restaurant, at 175 W Madison, helped the cause by giving out free smokes to patrons - but only take one!, 1945, Chicago.
Looking north from Top of the Rock, the former restaurant atop the Prudential Building, 1957, Chicago
Randolph and Dearborn, 1914, Chicago.
Note the famous Henrici’s restaurant (established 1868, closed 1962) as well as one of Chicago’s first mainstream Chinese Restaurants, King Joy Lo Chop Sooy.
Drink menu for Henrici’s, 67 W Randolph, 1945, Chicago.
A 50 cent martini…
Snaks Fifth Ave Pizza, Wells Street, 1962, Chicago
Follow on Twitter
Scaffold theme by Mike Harding.