Posts tagged sculpture

Sculpture classes at the Art Institute, 1908, Chicago.

Sheridan and Belmont, 1959, Chicago.

Sheridan and Belmont, 1959, Chicago.

Looking north from Monroe and Jefferson, 1982, Chicago. Ron Gordon.
Claes Oldenburg’s sculpture, Batcolumn, can be seen to the north on Madison St.

Looking north from Monroe and Jefferson, 1982, Chicago. Ron Gordon.

Claes Oldenburg’s sculpture, Batcolumn, can be seen to the north on Madison St.

Ornamentation found on the north end of the Electrical Building, Century of Progress World’s Fair, 1933, Chicago.

Ornamentation found on the north end of the Electrical Building, Century of Progress World’s Fair, 1933, Chicago.

Public drinking fountain outside the Women’s Temple at LaSalle and Monroe, 1905, Chicago.

Public drinking fountain outside the Women’s Temple at LaSalle and Monroe, 1905, Chicago.

The Conquest of Time and Space bas relief on the Electrical Building at the Century of Progress World’s Fair, 1933, Chicago.

The Conquest of Time and Space bas relief on the Electrical Building at the Century of Progress World’s Fair, 1933, Chicago.

The Rosenberg Fountain, Michigan Ave and 11th, 1893, Chicago.

The Rosenberg Fountain, Michigan Ave and 11th, 1893, Chicago.

The Rosenberg Fountain at S Michigan and 11th in Grant Park, as it appeared in 1923. 
It still stands. It was bequested by Joseph Rosenberg (1848-1891), who as a child newsie in Chicago could never convince anyone to give him a drink of water. Rosenberg vowed should he ever become wealthy, he would provide a place for the thirsty to drink. It was erected in 1893.

The Rosenberg Fountain at S Michigan and 11th in Grant Park, as it appeared in 1923. 

It still stands. It was bequested by Joseph Rosenberg (1848-1891), who as a child newsie in Chicago could never convince anyone to give him a drink of water. Rosenberg vowed should he ever become wealthy, he would provide a place for the thirsty to drink. It was erected in 1893.

Dedication of Kwanusila (The Thunderbird), the totem pole that stands at the east end of Addison in Lincoln Park, 1929, Chicago.

The current totem is a replica, replacing the orginal in 1986.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kwanusila

Sculptor John Storrs working on a piece which would become part of the Ashland Ave bridge at Webster, 1933, Chicago.
Update: From Anonymous: The Ashland Bridge panels were done by Scipio del Campo. That panel John Storrs is working on was for the Century of Progress. 
Again, relying on the kindness of strangers to help correct citations!!! The actual panel on the bridge looks very similar though. 

Sculptor John Storrs working on a piece which would become part of the Ashland Ave bridge at Webster, 1933, Chicago.

Update: From Anonymous: The Ashland Bridge panels were done by Scipio del Campo. That panel John Storrs is working on was for the Century of Progress. 

Again, relying on the kindness of strangers to help correct citations!!! The actual panel on the bridge looks very similar though. 

Dedication of the 28 ft. tall Louis Pasteur statue in Grant Park, 1928, Chicago.
The statue was moved to Cook County Hospital in 1946.

Dedication of the 28 ft. tall Louis Pasteur statue in Grant Park, 1928, Chicago.

The statue was moved to Cook County Hospital in 1946.

Scultpting pigs out of pig lard at the Stockyards, 1955, Chicago.

Scultpting pigs out of pig lard at the Stockyards, 1955, Chicago.

The rather un-pc Fort Dearborn Massacre of 1812 monument by Carl Rohl-Smith.
Commissioned by George Pullman, the 1893 sculpture has lived in several locations, but is now in storage after protests from Native American groups.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Fort_Dearborn

The rather un-pc Fort Dearborn Massacre of 1812 monument by Carl Rohl-Smith.

Commissioned by George Pullman, the 1893 sculpture has lived in several locations, but is now in storage after protests from Native American groups.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Fort_Dearborn

Spirit of the Great Lakes, the fountain at the Art Institute, c. 1926, Chicago

Spirit of the Great Lakes, the fountain at the Art Institute, c. 1926, Chicago